Saturday, November 5, 2011

Birding @ Bukit Brown Cemetery

It's been more than 6 month's since my last post! School work and exams have sadly limited my bird watching to school holidays. But on a happier note, exams are now over! I can dust my bins and take out my video cam again. For now.

After reading the awful news that Bukit Brown Cemetery is going to be destroyed for...more roads (argh!!!! Crazy, right?!!?), we decided to take a walk through the cemetery while it is still intact. This is so senseless! I'm so upset, but will leave my ranting for another day....

We braved the mosquitos and were rewarded with the largest number of life birds in Singapore! Wow! Why didn't we ever come here before? 

There were the usual suspects:
Olive-backed sunbird
Brown-throated sunbird
Yellow-vented Bulbul
Black-naped Oriole
Myna

But cooler still, we saw:


Greater Racket-tailed Drongo
  
Check out the rackets in its tail feathers!















Banded Woodpecker (cool!)

Common Goldenback Woodpecker (male)
 
Common Goldenback Woodpecker (female)

Asian Paradise Flycatcher (female)
- we caught a glimpse of the gorgeous white-tailed male but just couldn't photograph it!!

Asian Fairy Bluebird (male)
- he just refused to come out from behind the leaf!
We also saw the dull blue female
Striped-thoated Bulbul

Ashy Tailorbird

Sooty-capped Babbler

Common Iora
White-throated Kingfisher
- also hiding!

Pink-necked green pigeon

To round up our perfect day, a Brahminy Kite :)

A truly awesome birding day. If only I could see some owls too....

No comments:

Post a Comment